Kettlebell workouts have proven to be a great calorie burning exercise for weight loss. A recent study conducted by the American Council on Exercise showed that a typical kettlebell workout yields 20 calories burned every minute. The great thing about kettlebell workouts is that they can be done at home. This means 400 calories can be burned in just 20 minutes. The reason why such a large amount of calories were burned is because the kettlebell workout used in the study involved doing a full body exercise (the snatch). Full body exercises will obviously burn calories at a faster rate. This can be attributed to an increase heart rate and simply because more muscles are involved.
If you are new to lifting kettlebell weights, you should begin by starting out with a very light weight so you can learn to do the movements correctly. Lifting a kettlebell is a lot different than lifting standard weights because there is more swinging motions involved. However, you can still do some exercises much like you would with a standard dumbbell.
Now lets go over some great calorie burning exercises:
Kettlebell Front Squat
The kettlebell squat is a very effective calorie burning exercise if done properly.It involves not only your legs and butt, it also greatly involves your core muscles.
1. Begin by grabbing both sides of the kettlebell handle with each hand.
2. Your stance should be just wider than the width of your shoulders.
3. Point your toes outward a bit.Your knees should be parallel to the direction your toes are pointing.
4. Squat down slowly with your back straight.
5. Drive up using your legs and glutes, keep your abs tight.
For this workout, do three sets in the 10-15 rep range. If it is too easy, try a heavier weight next time.
1. With the kettlebell between your legs, reach down and grab the kettlebell with two hands by bending your knees only. It is important to keep your chest up as high at you can.
2. Lift the kettlebell by driving up your legs and hips. Your stance should be slightly wider than shoulder width. Point your toes outwards slightly.
It is important to keep your back straight during this exercise to avoid injury. Avoid rounding your back during this exercise. If you feel light you are rounding your back, try a lighter weight.
Do 3 sets of 10-15 repetitions with this exercise
The swing is probably the one of the most effective cardio exercises with he kettlebell. It truly is a great kettlebell workout for weight loss. You will find out why soon after you have tried it.
It should be easier to learn the kettlebell swing now that you know how to do the deadlift properly. Many of the same principles apply.
Remember to avoid rounding your back and keep your head looking forward. Your neck should be in a neutral position to avoid any neck strain.
1. Pick up the kettlebell using both hands with the bell between your legs.
2. Keep your knees bent and the kettlebell back between your legs.
3. Next, you are going to perform a hip snap. This involves snapping your hips forward and swinging the kettlebell upwards.
4. Repeat this motion quick and smoothly.
(Note: Try performing this exercise without the kettlebell first to get the motion down)
Clean & Press
The clean & press is another high intensity kettlebell workout for weight loss.
1. With one arm reach down and pick up the kettlebell keeping your back straight.You should keep your knees bent during this movement.
2. Drive your legs up and swing the kettle bell straight up into a resting position. Avoid swinging outwards because it will put too much strain on your rotator cuffs.
3. Press the kettlebell straight up by powering your shoulders.
4. Come straight down to the position you started at on step 3.
5. Lower the kettlebell back to the floor.
Do 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions