To find out how many calories you need to lose weight, please follow the 2 steps below.
Calorie Calculator to Lose Weight:
This will calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). Your BMR is the amount of calories your body burns if you were to stay in bed all day. This is calculated by using your age, height, and weight.
- Once you find out your BMR using the above calculator, you will need to factor in your activity level using the Harris Benedict Equation. This can be calculated by BMR x Activity Level (see below). The resulting number is the amount of calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight. If you want to lose 1lb per week, eat 500 calories below your maintenance level.
- Little or no Exercise: 1.2
- Light Exercise (1-3 Days Per Week): 1.375
- Moderate Exercise (3-5 Days per week): 1.55
- Intense/Heavy Exercise (6-7 Days Per Week): 1.725
- Very Heavy Exercise (Twice per Day, Intense workouts): 1.9
Harris Benedict Activity Level: 1.375
1700 x 1.375= 2338 calories to maintain current weight
Why Should You Use a BMR Calculator?
Many people follow diets blindly without knowing how many calories their bodies need for weight loss. Everyone’s body is different. A person who weighs only 110 lbs needs a smaller amount of calories to maintain their weight than a person who weighs 200lbs.
By calculating your daily calorie requirements, you can dial in your diet much more effectively than you could without knowing.
You may need to adjust your caloric needs accordingly if you gain or lose weight, or even if your activity level changes. Just come back to this page and recalculate as necessary.